I have posted a lasagna recipe before, my readers liked it, and were asking for a lighter version. The version I’m sharing today is light but scrumptious.
Some hesitate when using uncooked lasagna sheets, but using the method I’m sharing in this post and video, the uncooked lasagna sheets well be perfectly cooked.
I get all excited when readers try my recipes, and I’d like you to also experiment with my recipes, for example, there are herbs and spices which I’m not fond of but you might like, so try using them in my recipes and let me know how it turned out.
Light Beef Lasagna
Serves 6. 424 calories per serving.
For the beef sauce:
400gm ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 chopped tomato
2 cloves garlic thinly sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cube chicken bouillon (low sodium)
5 tablespoon tomato paste
3 cups boiling water
Salt to taste
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
For the white Sauce:
3 cups low fat cold milk
6 tablespoons all purpose flour
4 tablespoons butter
Salt to taste
6 lasagna sheets
1/4 cup parmesan cheese grated
Making the beef sauce:
– In a hot pan, add the olive oil, and onion. Stir until translucent, then add the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
– Add the beef and stir until the beef is half cooked. Add the tomatoes and stir for 3 minutes then add the tomato paste.
– Season with black pepper, thyme, and add the chicken bouillon. Stir to combine.
– Add the boiling water and let it cook until the beef is done and the sauce is reduced a bit.
*Check if the sauce needs salt, usually the chicken bouillon takes care of it.
Making the white sauce:
– In a hot pan add the butter, when it melts add the flour and stir for a minute.
– Add the milk and stir or whisk to avoid creating lumps. When the sauce get thicker, season it with salt and pepper.
*My method is to pour the cold milk all at ones on the butter and flour mixture, then stir and I never get lumps.
Assembling the lasagna:
–Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
– In a baking tray (I used non-stick), Pour 3/4 cup from the beef sauce, then add around 1/2 a cup from the white sauce. Place a layer of Lasagna sheet on top.
– Repeat the first step but this time increase the amount of the beef sauce and the white sauce, and then place another layer of lasagna sheet on top.
– Let the last layer be the beef sauce, then the white sauce. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and bake for 25 – 30 minutes.